- Deliveries will be delayed nationwide due to the snow. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- Order by 12:00 PM for same day dispatch and next day delivery*!
- Easy!Subscribe to our meaty newsletter!
Making gorgeous roasted turkey in the oven at home!
If it’s your first time preparing a whole turkey, you might see it as quite the challenge. If you’ve ever seen a turkey and sat there and said, “How could I even begin to cook this?”, then this article is for you! Join The Meat Guy as we introduce recipes so that you can make your very best turkey in your very own home.
Whole Turkey Prep.
A whole turkey can take up a lot of space in your freezer or refrigerator. In line with this, one should keep in mind the date they’d like to enjoy the turkey when thawing or storing away for cold storage so that the turkey doesn’t over stay it’s welcome!
Thawing Your Turkey Skillfully
There aren’t many people who can say they’ve handled a whole turkey themselves. With The Meat Guy’s turkeys, most are pretreated and thus takes away a lot of the needed preparation. However, one of the main points when preparing a delicious turkey is the thawing method.
Turkeys come in all shapes and size. Based on size and weight, the thawing process is sure to differ. Remember rushing to thaw your turkey can result in disappointing results. On our web page, we have a few pointers that talk all about thawing meat based on its size and weight. Be sure to give it a look.
Our Recommended Thawing Methods
・Slow thawing in the refrigerator.
・Double wrap the turkey in a plastic bag and thaw in ice water.
・Thaw the same way except exposing it to running water.
If you plan to thaw in the refrigerator, the smallest of our turkeys, the 6-8-pound baby turkey, will take up to 2 days to thaw. With cold water thawing of a turkey of the same size, it should take about 4 hours to thaw completely and with running water thawing, it can take about 3 – 4 hours. We recommend slow thawing in the refrigerator for the tastiest turkey. The quicker the thawing, the bigger potential for quality loss.
Points to Make Your Turkey the Gleaming Center of Attention
Really to make a good turkey, you don’t need such special ingredients. Turkey is simple, and that’s what makes it enjoyable by everyone. However, since the turkey is the main dish of the party, you should spruce it a little with a bit of tasty garnishes.
Also, when cooking meats such as turkey and chicken, leaving the meat at room temperature for an extended period of time can lead to food poisoning. Please be sure to cook the meat all the way through to avoid this.
This time we’ll be introducing a recipe using a 3kg turkey that is suitable for 6-8 people.
★Herbs like Rosemary and Bay Leaves（It’s really one’s own preference here）
※Saumur solution is a form of salt water referred to Saumur when adding herbs and spices.
【Good Vegetables to Add】
Carrots、Potatoes、Sweet Potatoes(2-3 each)
- ＜How to Make＞
1. Just like we explained before, once your turkey has been thawed completely、take out the bag that contained the turkey’s liver and heart and other organs. Furthermore, wipe the outside and inside lightly with a bit of water and place it into a large plastic bag.★With all of the ingredients that we mentioned above and after removing any air, add your Saumur solution. Be sure to tie the mouth of the bag to prevent any leaks and store it back in the refrigerator for 3hours to a day.
2. Remove the now flavor prepared turkey from the bag and place the turkey on an oven safe pan with a bit of depth after preparing the pan with a bit of aluminum foil. You’ll want to let the bird rest for 1-2 hours at room temperature. Be careful not to allow it to sit for too long. Baking while cold can result in a loss of quality.
3. Lather up the bird with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper before wrapping the entire body in aluminum foil. Place it in your oven at 190℃. For now, you’ll want to let it cook for about 2 hours.
4. Cut your preferred vegetables and remove the aluminum foil from the turkey before placing your vegetables around your bird and letting it enjoy one more hour in the oven.
5. Once you’ve cooked it for a while, the red pin (pop-up timer) attached to the turkey should be sticking from its placement indicating that the meat has been cooked safely.
Keep the turkey warm in the oven just before eating or topping with gravy.
- ＜Gravy Sauce Ingredients＞
・Meat Broth 400ml
・ 3 Tablespoons of flower
・1 Tablespoon of olive oil
・1 Tablespoon of salt and consommé
・A pinch of black pepper
- ＜Making The Gravy＞
1. Add a bit of olive and heat to a frying pan and brown a few sliced onions.
2. Add a bit of flower to a bowl and lightly mix with about 100cc of broth from the turkey. Using the leftover turkey juices, continue to add more, little by little while adding heat. Repeat these steps to your preferred consistency.
3. Using Salt, consommé, and pepper, you can adjust the taste to your heart’s desire. You can also use a hand blender to help with the consistency. Just like the turkey itself, gravy also tastes great with added vegetables and garnishes.
What to do with the inevitable leftovers?
There’s always turkey leftover during the holidays! That’s one of its special qualities as the turkey just doesn’t seem to end! Below we have a few ideas so that you can get the very most out of your turkey.
As simple as the name suggests, nothing makes you miss the holidays more than a good old turkey sandwich, but not just any old turkey sandwich. Get fancy with the toppings with options like olives, spicy mustard, spinach, pickled vegetables etc.
Turkey and Curry
How about Pakistani curry-style curry made by simmering turkey meat?
How about Pakistani curry-style curry made by simmering turkey meat? Put olive oil (3 tablespoons), grated ginger (1 tablespoon), chopped garlic (2 pieces), turkey meat (300 g) removed from the bone in a pan, and heat just until you can smell the magic. Add chopped onions, curry powder (1 tablespoon), pepper, cumin seed, garam masala (a little each) and stir for about 3 minutes. You’ll want to simmer for 1 hour on low heat. Finally, loosen the meat with a spatula and fry it over medium heat. Complete the season with salt (1/2 teaspoon) and honey (1 teaspoon)! More simply, you can just add the turkey meat removed from the bones as usual curry meat.
Ceasar Turkey Salad
With Romain lettuce and your favorite vegetables, this one famous and easy to eat combination. Use your leftover turkey meat to add a bit of protein to your favorite salads.
So, you’ve gotten a few ideas about how to cook and eat your turkey this year. Like many dishes, the turkey preparing procedure isn’t too difficult but rather time consuming. In the end it requires patience and creativity! Remember this is one that can be enjoyed by the entire family. Get everyone in on this one!
Products used in this recipe:
(Free Shipping) USDA A Grade Premium Whole Turkey 6-8 lbs. (3kg)¥5,980USDA A Grade premium fresh frozen turkey from the US. Gluten free. (Frozen)
Smoked Turkey Pastrami Slices (500g)¥1,920Smoked turkey deli pastrami slices for your extra tasty sandwich. Nothing beats a turkey sandwich! (Frozen)
Big Roasting Bag / Oven Bag + Clips (5 Bags)¥600A perfect, juicy roast every time. Just stick the meat in the bag, the bag in the oven and ooowalaaaa! 50cm x 50cm bags.