COLD DAYS MEAN IT’S TIME FOR WARM NABE! MEAT NABE RECIPES TO WARM YOU UP!
Winter is here, and what better way to warm the body than to have delicious hot nabe! It’s so easy to make, and you can enjoy different flavors and variations too! You can get a bunch of protein by adding meat into your hotpot. This will help raise your body temperature during those cold winter nights!
Today, we’ll be introducing meat nabe recipes using lamb meat, chicken, and pork. Let’s do this!
LEVEL UP YOUR NABE WITH LAMB MEAT!
Lamb meat is a great source of L-carnitine which promotes metabolism and warms the body.
A common way to enjoy lamb meat is by grilling or baking, so you may not have heard of lamb meat nabe before. Today, we’ll be introducing two lamb meat recipes to boost your metabolism and warm you up!
EASY NUTRITIOUS LAMB SHABU-SHABU (FOR 3-4 PEOPLE)
- 500g lamb shoulder meat slices
- 1/2 pack firm tofu
- 4cm sliced Japanese radish
- 1 diagonally sliced Japanese leek
- 50g crown daisy
- 1/3 shredded carrot
- ★ 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ★ 1 tbsp Doubanjiang
- ★ 1 tbsp Chinese soup stock
- ★ 3 cloves garlic
- ★ 20g shredded ginger
- ★ wolfberry, star anise, jujube, Japanese peppers
- ★ 500ml
- 1. Place all the ingredients marked with a ★, carrots, radish, and leeks in a pot and let it boil.
- 2. Add the firm tofu and crown daisy, and enjoy the lamb slices “shabu-shabu style”.
- The refreshing flavor of the medicinal food suppresses the gamey flavor of the lamb, making it easier for lamb meat beginners to enjoy this dish. Rest assured that the spices contained in this dish isn’t too strong or overpowering.
LAMB TOMATO NABE (FOR 3-4 PEOPLE)
- 500g lamb shoulder meat slices
- 1/4 (300g) chopped cabbage
- 1 sliced onion (about 8mm thick)
- 1/2 broccoli (cut into smaller pieces)
- 100g Maitake mushrooms
- ★ 1 canned tomatoes
- ★ 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- ★ 3 cloves garlic
- ★ 1 tsp salt
- ★ 1 tbsp miso
- 1 pack (about 100g) mozzarella cheese
- 1. Place the ingredients marked with a ★, cabbage, onions, and broccoli in the pot, and let it boil.
- 2. Add the lamb and maitake mushrooms, and when the vegetables are soft enough to eat, add the mozzarella cheese. That’s it!
- Adding miso into the tomato nabe will make the flavors richer and enhance the lamb meat flavor. The mozzarella cheese melts easily when heated, so we recommend adding it just before you’re about to eat so the cheese can melt with the residual heat.
WARM AND HEALTHY CHICKEN NABE
Chicken is a healthy meat option that’s low in fat. On top of that, it’s also great for making delicious soup stock! Enjoy it to the very last bite by adding either rice or noodles. Here are a couple healthy chicken nabe recipes with a bunch of veggies to get you started.
SOFT CHICKEN MEATBALL NABE IN SOY MILK SOUP (FOR 3-4 PEOPLE)
- ★ 250g ground chicken
- ★ 1/8 chopped onion
- ★ 1/2 tbsp miso
- ★ 1 tbsp potato starch
- ★ 1 tsp sesame oil
- 100g Shirataki noodles
- 1/4 cabbage
- 1/10 pumpkin (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- ● 2 tsp chicken soup stock powder
- ● 1/2 tsp salt
- ● 500ml soy milk
- ● 500ml water
- 1. Place the ingredients marked with a ★ in a bowl and mix well. Roll the meat mixture into balls to make meatballs.
- 2. Cook the ingredients marked with a ● in a pot and when the steam comes out, add the meatballs. Boil for about 3 minutes then remove from the pot.
- 3. Place the cabbage, shirataki noodles, pumpkin, and meatballs in, put the lid on and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes. Once everything is cooked, you’re done!
- The chicken meatballs will crumble in your mouth, so it’s great for all ages! From the little ones to the elderly, everyone’s sure to enjoy this dish! If you want more meat in this dish, try adding bite-sized pieces of chicken. You can also try making porridge in the end and add an egg to finish!
SAMGYETANG RECIPE CHICKEN HOTPOT (FOR 3-4 PEOPLE)
- 8 (approx. 600g) chicken drumsticks
- 1/3 carrot (cut into strips)
- 1diagonally-sliced Japanese leek
- 1 piece sliced ginger
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 6g dried kurage mushroom
- 200ml water for soaking
- 4 tbsp barley (raw rice or millet rice is also ok)
- ★ 800ml water
- ★ 5 tbsp sake
- ★ 1.5 tsp salt
- ★ pepper to taste
- 1. Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms and dried kurage mushrooms in water for about 20 minutes. Cut the soaked mushrooms into bite-sized pieces.
- 2. Place the ingredients marked with a ★ together with the chicken, carrots, leeks, ginger, and mushrooms in a pot and heat at medium heat until it starts to boil. Once it starts boiling, cover and simmer for about 20 more minutes.
- 3. Once the soup is cloudy and the chicken is tender and cooked, it’s good to go!
- Simmering the chicken with bones in will add plenty of flavor to your soup. Even just a simple seasoning of salt & pepper is enough to make this dish hearty and delicious!
PORK CAN BE USED TO MAKE BOTH REFRESHING AND FILLING NABE!
Pork is rich in B vitamins, which are necessary for energy and metabolism. Having carbohydrates and proteins in the dish can help your body produce heat, and warm yourself up during the winter season. We’re upping the warming effects by adding ginger and pepper in the following dishes!
LIGHT PORK NABE WITH DRIED BONITO (FOR 3-4 PEOPLE)
- 500g thinly-sliced pork
- 1 “Atsuage” deep-fried tofu (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 stalk Mizuna (cut into 3cm-long pieces)
- 1/8 chopped Chinese cabbage
- 100g Shirataki noodles
- 1/2 pack (about 70g) Bunashimeji mushrooms (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 15g Katsuobushi (dried bonito)
- 800 ml water
- ★ 3 tbsp sake
- ★ 2 tsp light soy sauce
- ★ 1-1.5 tsp salt
- 1. In a pot, add the water, cabbage, shirataki noodles, and mushrooms, then bring to a boil.
- 2. Add the mizuna, tofu, pork slices, and seasonings marked with a ★. Simmer until the cabbage is nice and tender.
- 3. Enjoy with plenty of dried bonito flakes!
- Dried bonito is a great way to enhance the flavors of a lightly-seasoned dish like this. If you like, you can try the dish out first without the bonito, then add it later to see which flavor you like better!
PORK KIMCHI NABE (FOR 3-4 PEOPLE)
- 500g pork belly block
- 1 bunch chives
- 300g kimchi
- 100g Enoki mushrooms
- 100g Shiitake mushrooms
- 100g Bunashimeji mushrooms
- 2 tbsp miso
- 800ml water
- 1. Cut the pork belly into 1 cm thick pieces (about 3-4 cm in length and width), cook in the pot without any oil. Remove the excess fat that comes out with a paper towel, and cook until both sides are browned.
- 2. Wipe off any excess oil from the pot. Add the water, miso, chives, kimchi, and mushrooms, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- You can also make this kimchi nabe using thinly-sliced pork, but using thick pork belly will add richness to the soup! The juiciness of the meat is also an added bonus. This pairs perfectly with some rice! Enjoy!
SURVIVE THE WINTER SEASON WITH WARM AND NUTRITIOUS NABE!
All the recipes we’ve introduced today are so simple! As long as you have the ingredients, you can easily make a delicious nabe. We know there’s a lot of ready-made nabe soup bases in the market, but nothing beats making your own soup stock from scratch!
Let’s all get through this winter season by eating warm, healthy and delicious hotpot filled with meat and veggies!
Sliced Lamb Shoulder (500g)¥2,050Lamb shoulder, sliced thinly for almost anything you can think of that calls for sliced lamb. (Frozen)
【Domestic Brand Chicken】(Kinsou-Dori) Chicken Mince 500g【No Additives or Preservatives】¥650Born and Minced in Japan, Kinsou-Dori Chicken mince! This mince is exclusively made from the Kinsou-Dori chicken breast. You won't find this quality at your local supermarket.
KINSOU-DORI Tebamoto Drumsticks (1kg)¥1,030The Morgan Ranch Beef, but for chicken. (Frozen)
Pork Belly (800g Block)¥1,320Lean pork belly. This specification is called "single rib" because it still has the rib meat attached. (Frozen)
Pork Belly Slices 2.5mm (500g)¥830Pork belly slices, 2.5mm thickness. 500g per pack. From Denmark. (Frozen)
THE MEAT GUY'S RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS
(Free Shipping) Limited to Our First-Time Buyers Only! 7 Of Our Most Popular Items Packed Into One Trial Set!¥6,980This is for our first-time buyers only! This set contains 7 of our most popular items that would usually total to about 10,000 Yen!
Beef Chitterling Cuts 500g¥830American Southerners will know this by the name for sure! Chitterlings, Chittlins, how ever you called it back home. These are the beef intestine cuts!
Small Duck Breast from Hungary (350g)¥1,550Plain and simple duck breast from Hungary. (Frozen)
ROASTED DUCK APPROX. 150G¥930Pre-seasoned and pre-cooked roasted duck breast! All you have to do is thaw and serve!
Ground Lamb Meat / Lamb Mince (500g)¥1,440Lamb shoulder made into lean minced lamb. You will love it. (Frozen)
All Natural Meat Balls (220g)¥600All natural meatballs, already seasoned with our famous spices. (Frozen)