Unsure about the taste? Delicious recipes to cook crocodile meat
last update date 2023-09-19 | release date 2018-06-21
After knowing the potential of crocodile meat, you’d wanna try it
It’s rare to see crocodile meat sold in Japan, so not that many people have had the chance to try it yet. But crocodile meat is prized as a high-grade food - low in fat and cholesterol, and very high in protein.
In fact, crocodile meat is great for preventing lifestyle diseases since the meat includes omega-3 fatty acids, high-quality collagen for beautiful skin, vitamin B6 for boosting the immune system, and vitamin B12 which is effective for the prevention of anemia and aids in the quick recovery from fatigue. It’s an ideal meat that is increasing in popularity among health-conscious people and athletes. The taste? Delicious! Why not give it a try?
Crocodile meat looks like chicken and there’s no unique smell at all. The texture is also similar to chicken, and first-timers say crocodile meat tastes just like "juicy chicken breast meat" or a "fatty chicken tender".
Recently in Japan, crocodile meat is gaining popularity from younger generations that are trend-sensitive such as barbecuing with friends and trying various recipes using crocodile meat. As the taste is very mild, the meat goes well with any kind of cuisine such as Japanese, Western, Chinese and many others.
Delicious crocodile meat recipe #1: “Crocodile Steak”
- 1. Thaw the crocodile fillet in the refrigerator overnight.
- 2. For more details on how to thaw meat。
- 3. Wipe away the moisture of the surface of crocodile meat with kitchen paper. Rub olive oil and steak spice(or salt and black pepper)
- 4. Heat the pan to low to medium temperature and add the seasoned crocodile meat for 5 minutes, covering with a lid.
- 5. Grill the meat until brown and flip to grill the other side. Grill until the inside is cooked properly. (The best temperature of the center of meat is about 73℃)
Delicious crocodile meat recipe #2: “Deep Fried Crocodile”
- Ingredients (3-4 servings)
- Corn starch⋯⋯25g
- Salt⋯⋯1 tablespoon
- Baking powder⋯⋯1 teaspoon
- Dark lager beer⋯⋯100cc
- Crocodile fillet steak⋯⋯350g
- Salt and pepper⋯⋯A pinch
- Frying oil⋯⋯A good amount
- Cut lemons、tar tar sauce
- On the side
- Tartar sauce, lemon juice, vinegar
- French fries
- 1. Mix together flour, corn starch, salt, and baking powder in a bowl.
- 2. In a different bowl, mix together dark lager beer and an egg.
- 3. Combining the two bowls, mix them together to create the batter.
- 4. Cut the crocodile fillet into pieces and wipe away moisture with kitchen paper. Lightly season the cut crocodile fillets with salt and pepper and place them into the batter.
- 5. Fry the battered crocodile at low heat (about 170℃) first and once the oil temperature rises, fry until surface becomes crispy.
- 6. Serve with tartar sauce, lemon juice, or vinegar and add french fries on the side.
What did you think about crocodile meat? The recipes we introduced today are classical dishes, and for sure once you try it, you’ll want to eat it again. Crocodile meat is filled with lots of nutrients and is great for kids and health-conscious adults. We hope you enjoy them!